April 1, 2010

Hubble

And it had to come to this, that on April 1st, I had to call in sick due to severe grogginess caused by lack of sleep. After I snoozed my way to recovery, I then had to make a quick escape from the oncoming harrows of the waking life. I headed for the Liberty Science Center to see Hubble in the IMAX dome.

For my case, this short film turned out to be ok for a hurried schedule. For a mere 40 minutes, a lot of substance were crammed into it. It was short but sweet. But of course I would've enjoyed more if it had more of the spacey scenes.

The film tells a mini-story of how the brave astronaut heroes fixed Hubble on the last servicing mission. And it showed spectacular scenes of deep space, with all the galaxies and stars, gliding towards the Orion Nebula, and grazing at "tadpoles" in stellar nurseries, then zooming onto star formations.

The wonders that the Hubble telescope shares to us is already mesmerizing by way of its pictures of stars, nebulae, galaxies and so forth. Yet several times in the film, the narrator (Leonardo DeCaprio) mentioned the search for other worlds. And one of the Astronauts even mentioned how Hubble can study the atmosphere of other planets. Of course, that made my eyes grow wider than the gargantuan dome.

As the film reached its climax and ended with the view of earth, I knew that my little escape from the busy day was over. Yet I realized that even as mankind will always try to escape the planet's pull of gravity, a spacefarer will always look back. And when one scans the starry heavens in search for other earth-like planets, there's no escaping--it always points us back to our own home.